Friday 20 July 2012

Something I feel strongly about.

Hello flower, 


So it's day two of the thirty day blog challenge


Today's topic is:


Something I Feel Strongly About


Today I have decided to write about gratitude. I am a firm believer in appreciating the hand you have been dealt in life, and I believe that by practicing a positive attitude you can make everything seem a little easier. 


This topic is very relevant and close to my heart due to my current situation. Having just finished university, I am currently searching for a job and living on next to nothing. I rely on my savings to pay for food and my bills/rent. This is a very stressful environment to be living in, and the stress levels have been taking their toll on my health recently, I've been poorly and losing a lot of sleep. 


A few nights ago I was lying in bed with my boyfriend, complaining about our bed. It basically came down to it being a 3/4 size - not quite big enough for a couple to share comfortably, and the useless mattress that means I wake up with backache most mornings. This developed into a rant regarding how I don't feel I'll ever be able to afford a decent bed for us. 


After a couple of moments, I paused and said "wait!" 


I suddenly realised how horribly ungrateful I was being. I remembered that there are so many people in this world who don't have a bed. There are so many people who don't have a roof over their heads. There are so many people who don't even have the privilege of living in a safe environment. 


Who am I to complain?! I was focusing way too much on what is lacking in my life and forgetting how lucky I am. I have a college education, a safe place to live in a lovely city with my boyfriend who I love and who loves me in return. I have loving parents and a great network of friends. I have so many things to be grateful for.


In summary, it is always important to remember what you have to be grateful for. A positive attitude really does go a long way. 


“Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life & the world.” (John Milton)


Gala Darling has lots to say in regard to gratitude. You should check her out! 


That's all from me today. 


Love and peace, 


Heppy xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment